Wednesday 19 August 2015

Goat Simulator PS4 Review


Goat Simulator is easily one of the stupidest games I have ever came across, come on it's a game were you control a goat! Any person in their right mind should never spend "real" money on a game as epically stupid as this... I clearly am not in my right mind and I did indeed spend my "real" money on this game and I urge every single one of you to do the same thing it is something you have to witness for yourself.

I came across Goat Simulator on the PC when I watched a couple of Youtubers play it and thought it looked sorta kinda alright but nothing to run out and get asap. Maybe that was because my laptop was broken and I had nothing to play it on. To my surprise when checked the Playstation store on Tuesday to see if there was any updates and there it was "Goat Simulator" on the PS4. I knew it was only a matter of time before I gave in to temptation and bought it but I didn't, well not then anyway.

Fast forward to Saturday night and having just arrived home from my parents house I got online and joined my good friend John in a chat party. He suggested that we watch a live stream of someone playing Goat Simulator to see what it was actually like and would it be worth trying. When we did find a decent stream it wasn't too long before laughter ensued, it was hilarious some of the funniest footage from a game I had seen in a long time. A few seconds later John disappeared from the chat only to return a couple of minutes later to inform me that he had bought the game which was inturn my mind made up, I was buying Goat Simulator.

So after a few minutes of downloading I was in and faced with choice of starting in GoatVille or Goat City Bay. I chose the later and we were in, it didn't take to long to get the main object of the game... destroy everything and that's what I did wrecking every fence in my path. After leaving the spawn garden I noticed a petrol station so off I trotted towards it determined to headbutt it and when I did it set off a huge chain of explosions that sent my goat 50 ft into the air and when he landed on the road he bounced. Now I don't know if you ever seen a goat fly through the air and bounce when he lands but if you haven't you're missing out it was one of the funniest things I have seen in a while I couldn't breathe for laughing. My next hour was spent trying to recreate something as funny with varying levels of success but each as funny as the last, even the epic fails were hilarious.

Admittedly there are other less fun tasks to do in Goat Simulator there are 30 goat trophies to find in both areas, 3 building blocks to find that look suspiciously like Minecraft blocks, the hat simulator where you have to find bundles of cash to buy the six hats in the window of the hat shop, stop the hillbilly from driving in the cornfield, lick the hand glider, trash goathendge. There are also mini games to play throughout the game these include Box pusher, the Nokia classic snake and Flappy Goat a version of the painstakingly annoying flappy bird. There is also an achievement for finding and gatecrashing a performance by the guest star Deadmau5. Another blatant rip off can be found in the sewer and the end of which you can find four guys dressed in green with different coloured masks obviously meant to be the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

There are several "mutations" available within the game, mutations are basically different skins for your goat and some even change the species the range from angel goat and devil goat to tall goat (which is a giraffe) and classy goat (which is a penguin). Each of these mutations can be unlocked by various means some via obtaining the aforementioned trophies and the rest by their own quests. The angel goat is unlocked by doing no damage for 5 minutes, the devil goat is unlocked by bringing five sacrifices to the pentagram on the hill. Most of the achievements are made much easier by using angel goat and double jump and my personal choice of mutations. The mutation add another level of fun to the game and even way to travel as the giant goat is actually a whale that can only move when in the water.

The main downfall of the game is replayablity once you finish all achievements/trophies there really isn't much to do. Yes wrecking stuff with a goat will never get old but having nothing to do or achieve makes it get slightly boring very quickly. This problem in my opinion could be remedied by introducing online multi-player, this game would benefit so much. So for this for me anyway the pluses outweigh the negatives and this is a great wee game well worth the £6.65 (including the 10% PS Plus discount). I would recommend this game to anyone to games or just anyone with a sense of humour as weird as mine, it was enough to keep me entertained for the whole weekend and if it did bring in online mp I will be back to play it without question.


GOOD- It's a Goat causing carnage to it's surroundings which is awesome, it's funny, it's addictive and it's a great way to spend a weekend gaming.

BAD- Lack of online multi-player makes the game feel really short and limits the amount of time you'll want to spend playing it.

Verdict- A very stupidly funny game that'll have you in wrinkles laughing more times than you'll care to admit, could be better but for a game made as a joke it certainly is no joke. I would happily give this game 7/10.


No comments:

Post a Comment